Venture Outdoor Leadership is accredited by the Associaton for Experiential Education, which is considered one of the most significant recognitions in the field of adventure education.
The department was first accredited in April 1995. It was the fifth program nationally and the second university to receive this honor. Cornell University was the first university to be accredited.
The department was re-accredited for the fourth time in April 2007 for an additional 10 years. We are proud to receive this recognition of our quality and safety, and pleased to be able to offer our accredited programs to you, our participants.
The accreditation acknowledges excellence in operational procedures including:
- Adhering to the Association's recognized philosophical, educational, ethical, environmental, and cultural tenets;
- Maintaining appropriate risk management plans, licenses, certificates, permits, and insurance coverage;
- Employing qualified staff and providing ongoing in-service education;
- Conducting all activities currently listed in promotional materials and working only with participants identified therein.
The Association for Experiential Education (AEE) is a not-for-profit, international, professional organization with roots in adventure education. They are committed to the development, practice, and evaluation of experiential learning in all settings. AEE is one of the leading international organizations for the development and application of principles and methodologies for experiential education.
Venture Outdoor Leadership also has strong ties with the
- American Canoe Association
- Professional Climbing Instructor’s Association
- American Mountain Guides Association
- Association for Challenge Course Technology