WHAT IS SOAR OUTDOOR?
Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) and Venture have partnered to launch SOAR Outdoor, a five-day orientation backpacking program in the mountains of Western North Carolina that builds on the University-wide SOAR experience for freshmen and transfer students.
Like other programs of its kind, SOAR Outdoor is founded on the idea that the challenge and novel experience of outdoor orientation programs can foster the development of meaningful relationships between incoming students and their trip leaders. It is these types of relationships that have a long-term impact on students’ experience at the University, as well as their own personal development and growth.
SUMMER 2017 TRIP DATES:
Session 1: Monday, August 7 to Friday, August 11
Session 2: Monday, August 14 to Friday, August 18
ELIGIBILITY: You must complete SOAR prior to attending SOAR Outdoor.
COST: SOAR Outdoor costs $245 per student, which is below the average cost for programs of this nature at similar institutions. Venture provides the hiking and camping gear, meals, and weather-resistant clothing for the five-day experience.
STEPS TO REGISTER:
- Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis. All three steps must be completed to secure your spot:
- Please be aware of the following refund policy as you consider involvement in SOAR Outdoor: for cancelled registrations 14+ days before your program, a full refund will be issued. Refunds will not be made for cancellations within 13 days or fewer of your scheduled SOAR Outdoor program.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Space is limited, so register early!
- You must complete SOAR prior to attending SOAR Outdoor.
- As SOAR Outdoor is a physically challenging program, we must reserve the right to deny your registration on the basis of medical concerns. To help ensure your ability to participate in this program, please communicate with your physician and submit your medical form as soon as possible so we have enough time to ask follow-up questions if they arise.
Students can earn two Fall semester academic credit hours for SOAR Outdoor. E-mail Dave Sperry at email@example.com for more details.