WHAT IS DISCOVERY?
At Venture Outdoor Leadership, we believe in the power of extended wilderness experiences to teach us about ourselves and our potential as individuals and members of a community.
Through backpacking, rock climbing, and whitewater canoeing, you will be challenged to overcome your own perceived mental, physical, and emotional barriers and learn that you and your team are capable of more than you thought.
Embrace the adventure and join us for this 19-day Discovery expedition in the Western North Carolina mountains!
Sunday, May 10 through Thursday, May 29, 2020
What does it cost?
The trip cost includes instruction, equipment, transportation, and food. We will provide almost everything you need from the day we depart to the day we return, including much of the clothing you may need. We will provide a packing list for you that includes equipment that you can borrow from us.
Total cost: $1,000
- Deposit due at the time of registration ($500)
- Fri, Feb. 28, 2020: Registration deposit deadline
- Fri, April 10, 2020: Final payment due
Who can participate?
UNC Charlotte students*
What to expect
In addition to learning backpacking, rock climbing, and whitewater canoeing skills, you and your group will also have the opportunity to participate in other adventure education experiences, such as:
- Independent travel experience, where you and your group will demonstrate your backpacking and navigation skills without the direct supervision of your trip leaders, where you will spend time alone to rest, recover, and reflect. But don’t worry, your instructors will always be a short walk away.
- Half-marathon run at the end of the trip to demonstrate your physical and mental growth
*If space remains after the student registration deadline, we will open registration to non-UNC Charlotte students
- Complete Applicant Information and Course Agreement Form (Registration)
- Pay $500 deposit to Venture (online, by check, or in-person at the Venture office)
- Have your physician submit medical form* to Brian Holcomb, UNC Charlotte Venture Program, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223
- We review completed applications on a first-come, first-served basis
- All 3 steps must be taken before your application is considered complete
- We reserve the right to deny applications due to concerns about your medical wellbeing during the trip
- Priority application deadline is Friday, Febuary 28, 2020. Early applications are highly encouraged as spots are not guaranteed!
If you need to cancel your registration for Discovery, you are eligible for a refund at any point before Friday, April 10. After that date, Venture Outdoor Leadership WILL NOT provide a refund.
Contact Venture Director Dave Sperry at email@example.com to inquire about financial aid for Discovery.
It is possible to take Discovery for academic credit for an additional fee. E-mail Dave Sperry at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in this option.